Original Research Article I Volume 11 I Issue 2 I 2023
Phyto Essential Oils from Cymbopogon flexuosus and Lavendula officinales – Antibacterial Activity and Effect on Nutritional and Economic Traits of Mulberry Silkworm, B. Mori
Gudimalla Prashanthi, Kuntamalla Sujatha, Akula Sampath, Kaneez Fatima
Biolife, Volume 11, Issue 2, 2023, pp 56-61
The experiment evaluates the effect of two essential oils isolated from aromatic plants Lavendula officinales and Cymbopogon flexuosus against larval instars of silkworms by using fortification method. The tested essential oils had no adverse effect on larval growth or commercial characters of the silkworm except at higher concentrations. This experiment is part of doctoral work carried out during 2011 to 2014 and is one of the first attempt to understand the effect of the phyto essential oils at different concentrations on larval characters, nutritional efficiency and commercial characters. These findings would contribute not only in controlling the bacterial diseases but also helps in increasing the commercial characters there by an increase in silk production without affecting the silkworm egg production
Essential oils, nutritional efficiency, commercial characters, egg production.
- Murugan. K, D. Jayabalan, K.N.Senthil and N. Sivaprakashan, 1998. Growth promoting effects of plant products on silkworm. J. sci. Ind. Res, 57: 740 – 745.
- Eid, M.A.A., A.N.E.I. Nakkdy and M.Sahch, 1989. Effect of supplementary amino acids on silk secretion by the larvae of philosamia ricini. Indian journal of Sericulture., 28: 224 – 232.
- Dubey, N.K. 2004. Global Promotion of herbal medicine: India’s opportunity current science. 86(1): 37 – 41.
- Srivastava, K and V.B. Upadhyay, 2013. Effect of phytoecdysteroid on silk producing potential of multivoltine mulberry silkworm (Bombyx mori Linn). The Bioscan, 8 (1):43 – 47.
- Hiware, C.J., 2006. Effect of fortification of mulberry with homeopathic drug Nux vomica on Bombyx mori L. Homeopathy, 95(3): 148 – 150.
- Rajsekhargouda R. Gopalan, M. Jeyaraj and N. Natarajan, 1997. Field performance of plant extracts on mulberry silkworm Bombyx mori L. Entomen 22(3&4) : 235 – 238.
- Balamurugan, R and L. Isairasu, 2007. Effect of the herbal tonic “Iogen” on the growth and cocoon parameters of mulberry silkworm, Bombyx mori L. Proceedings of the National seminar on Applied Zoology, ANJA College, Sivakasi.
- Deshmukh, R.B and V.B. Khyade, 2013. Utilization of Aloe veera (L) herbal tonic for treating mulberry leaves before feeding the Vth instar larvae of silkworm, Bombyx mori L. (Race: PMX CSR2). IJB, 02(01): 281 – 285.
- De Sosa Barros A., de Morais S.M., Ferreira P.A.T., Vieira I.G.P., Craveiro A.A, de santos Fontenelle R.O., de Menezes J.E.S.A., da silva F.W.F., de Sousa H.A Chemical composition and functional properties of essential oils from Mentha species. Tnd. Crops prod 2015; 76: 557 – 564. doi : 10.1016/j. indcrop. 2015.07.004. [Cross ref] [Google scholar]
- Jongnuanchan, P., Benjakul, S. Essential oils: Extraction, bioactivities and their uses for food preservation. J.food Sci. 2014, 79, R 1231 – R1249. [Cross ref] [Pub Med].
- Waldbauer G.P (1968). The consumption and utilization of food by insects. Adv. Insect physio 5229-288. 10. 1016/s 0065 – 2806 (08) 60230-1 [Cross Ref] [Google Scholar].
- Waldbauer G.P (1964). The consumption, digestion and uitilization of solanaceous and non – solanaceous plant by larvae of the tobacco horn worm ptoto parce sexta (Johan) (Lepidoptera : Sphingidae). Entomol.
- S.S. Shankar, A.Rai, A.Ahmed, M.Sastry (2005). Controlling the optical properties of lemongrass extract synthesized gold nanotriangles and potential application in infrared – absorbing optical coatings. Chemistry of materials. 17(3) : 566 – 572......
Received: 26 February 2022; Accepted: 29 March 2023; Published: 3 April 2023
How To Cite:
Gudimalla Prashanthi, Kuntamalla Sujatha, Akula Sampath, Kaneez Fatima. (2023). Phyto Essential Oils from Cymbopogon flexuosus and Lavendula officinales – Antibacterial Activity and Effect on Nutritional and Economic Traits of Mulberry Silkworm, B. Mori. Biolife, 11(2), 56–61. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7796017