Original Research Article I Volume 11 I Issue 2 I 2023
Effect of Insecticide, Lesenta on Rate of Oxygen Consumption in Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio L.)
Mummadi Narsing Rao , J. Vijaya Kumar
Biolife, Volume 11, Issue 2, 2023, pp 45-49
For the toxicity investigation, the study of the rate of oxygen consumption is one of the indications of an organism’s general health. The aim of this study was to see how Lesenta insecticide affected rate of oxygen consumption in the freshwater fish C. carpio. The rate of oxygen consumption in C. carpio after exposure to lesenta between 1 mg/L (1/10th of LC₅₀) and 2 mg/L (1/5th of LC₅₀) at sublethal concentrations on days 7, 14, 21, and 28 revealed a significant decrease in the rate of oxygen consumption. After 28 days of exposure, the rate of oxygen uptake in C. carpio was considerably lower than in the control group of fish. When compared to control, percentage of the rate of O₂ consumption decreased 20% and 38% on the 7th day, 30% and 53% on the 14th day, 46% and 68% on the 21st day, and 64% and 81% on the 28th day at 1 and 2 mg/L sublethal concentrations, respectively. The O₂ consumption rate of fish impacted by Lesenta. The reduction was greater at higher concentrations, which could be due to a slower metabolism caused by toxicant stress.
Toxicity, Oxygen, Cyprinus carpio, Lesenta, Insecticide, Sublethal, Metabolism, Stress.
- Anita Susan, T., Sobha, K., Tilak, K.S. 2010. A study on acute toxicity, oxygen consumption and behavioural changes in the three major carps, Labeorohita (ham), Catlacatla (ham) and Cirrhinusmrigala (ham) exposed to Fenvalerate. Bioresearch Bull., 1: 35–43.
- David, M., Shiva Kumar, H.B., Shiva Kumar, R., Mushigeri, S.B., Ganti, B.H. 2003. Toxicity evaluation of cypermethrin and its effect on oxygen consumption of the freshwater fish, Tilapia mossambica. Indian J. Environ. Toxicol., 13(2): 99–102.
- Dharmalata, Joshi, N. 2002. Toxicity and Respiratory responses of Heteropneustes fossilis exposed to zinc chloride and fly ash leachate. Himalayan J. Environ. Zool., 16(1): 87–90.
- Finney DJ, 1971. Probit analysis 3rd edn., Cambridge University press, London, pp508-510.
- Hartl MGJ, Hutchinson S and Hawkins L, 2001. Organotin and osmoregulation: quantifying the effects of environmental concentrations of sediment asociatedTBT and TPhT on the fresh water adapted European flounder, Platichthysflesus. J Exp Mar BiolEcol, 256(2): 267-278.
- Logaswamy, S., Remia, K.M. 2009. Impact of cypermethrin and ekalux on respiratory and some biochemical activities of a freshwater fish, Tilapia mossambica. J. Curr. Biotica, 3(1): 65–73.
- Maharajan A, Usha R, Ruckmani PS, Vijaykumar BS, Ganapiriya V et al., 2013. Sub lethal effect of profenofos on oxygen consumption and gill histopathology of the Indian major carp, C. catla. Int J Pure Appl Zool, 1: 196-204.
- Murthy, K.S., Kiran, B.R., Venkateshwarlu, M. 2013. A review on toxicity of pesticides in Fish. Int. J. Open Sci. Res., 1(1): 15–36.
- Patil, V.K., David, M. 2008. Behaviour and respiratory dysfunction as an index of malathion toxicity in the freshwater fish, Labeo rohita (Hamilton). Turkish J. Fisheries and Aquatic Sci., 8: 233–237.
- Poojari, S., Porika, R., & Mamidala, E. (2014). Phytochemical analysis and in vitro antidiabetic activities of Physalis angulata fruit extracts. Natl. J. Integr. Res. Med, 5, 34-38.......
Received: 21 February 2022; Accepted: 25 March 2023; Published: 1 April 2023
How To Cite:
Mummadi Narsing Rao. (2023). Effect of Insecticide, Lesenta on Rate of Oxygen Consumption in Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Biolife, 11(2), 45–49. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7791783