Original Research Article I Volume 11 I Issue 1 I 2023
Effect of Richmin and Vanimin on Carbohydrate metabolism in selected fish species - C. catla, L. rohita, C. mrigala
Kamala P; M. Jagadish Naik
Biolife, Volume 11, Issue 1, 2023, pp 36-42
Carbohydrates are one such group of carbon compounds which are essential to life. Almost all organisms use carbohydrates as building blocks of cells and as a matter of fact, exploit their rich supply of potential energy to maintain the life. The effect of Richmin and Vanimin on carbohydrate metabolism in different fish species were analysed in this study. The experimental group of fishes shall further be divided into two groups. Richmin and Vanimin which are commercially available are been selected for the study. To assess the carbohydrate metabolism effect of Richmin and Vanimin in C. catla, L. rohita, C. mrigala, the total carbohydrates, serum glucose levels, liver and muscle glycogen concentration were measured. The richmin and vanimin fed fish species muscle and liver showed enhanced levels of their total carbohydrate content over their corresponding control values and the increment was found to be statistically significant (P<0.001) over the control values. Statistically significant (P<0.001) increase in the liver and muscle and liver tissues glycogen content over the control feed fed fish tissues was registered in the present study for the fish tissues fed with richmin and vanimin.
Richmin, Vanimin, C. catla, L. rohita, C. mrigala , Glucose, Glycogen
- Bashamohideen, Md. And Sudharshan Reddy, K. 2003. Effect of sublethal exposure of malathion on carbohydrate metabolism in field crab O.senex senex with special emphasis on body size. J. Invertebrate. Aquatic Biol. 1:54-58.
- Carrol, N.V., Longley, R.W. and Row, J.H. 1956. Glycogen determination in liver and muscle by use of anthrone reagent. J. Biol. Chemi. 22:583-593.
- Dikshit, T.S.S., Datta, K.K. and Pandya, K.P. 1975. Effect of DDT on the free amino acid pool of brain and kidney in guinea pigs. Environ. Physiol.Biochem. 5:404-407.
- Donaldson, E.M. 1981. The pituitary internal axis as an indicator of stress in fish. In stress and fish (A.D. Pickering, Ed.) : 11-47.
- Gangadhar, B., M. C. Nandeesha, T. J. Varghese and P. Keshavanath 1998. Effect of feeding 19 - Norethisterone on growth and body composition of rohu, Labeo rohita. Asian Fish. Sci., 11: 51-58.
- Gordon, M.S. 1968. Oxygen consumption of red and white muscle from tuna fishes. Science, 159: 87-90.
- Harper, H.A., Rodwell, V.M. and Mayer, P.A. 1979. In: Review of physiological chemistry, 17th edition, Longe Medical Publications, Maruzer company limited, California.
- Hattingh, J. 1977. Blood sugar as an indicator of stressing the fresh water fish, Labeo rohita (Smith.). J.Fish.Biol. 10:191-195.
- Kugler C.O.J. and J. Pequignot 1988. Growth and Histological Studies on the Liver andAnterior Intestine of Nile Tilapia ( Oreochromis niloticus) Fed on Mixed Foods: Daphnia magna Chlorella vulgaris and Commercial Carp Pellets.In : R.S.V. Pullin,
- Mamidala, E., Davella, R., Gurrapu, S., & Shivakrishna, P. (2020). In silico identification of clinically approved medicines against the main protease of SARS-CoV-2, causative agent of covid-19. arXiv preprint arXiv:2004.12055.
- Mong, F.S.F. and Poland, J.L. 1981. Substrate restoration in muscle grafts of rat. Ires. Med. Sci. 916:508-512.
- Nandeesha, M.C.,Gangadhara. B. and Manissery, J.K., (2002). Further studies on the use of mixed feeding schedules with plant- and animal-based diets for common carp Cyprinus carpio (Linnaeus). Vol.33 : 14 pp.1157
- Nelson, N. and Somogyi, N. 1952. A photometric adaptation of somogyi method for the determination of glucose. (L.). Applied Ichthyology, 19:157-160.
- Oda, T., Seki, S. and Okazaki, H. 1958. Colorimetric methods for the estimation cytochrome – C – oxidase and cytochrome-c-oxidase systems. Acta. Med, Okayama. 12 : 293-301.
- Padmavathy, P., Ramanathan, N. and Francies, T. 2002. Oxygen utilization in Cirrhinus mrigala and Labeo rohita under normoxic and hypoxic conditions. Indian. J. Fish. 49(2) : 115-121.
- Prakash, M. and Arora, K. 1998. Physiological biochemistry. Annual publications. 1-3.
- Silberged, E.K. 1974. Environmental stress in fishes. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 11:20.
- Tewari, H., Gill, T.S. and Pant, J. 1987. Impact of chronic lead poisoning on the hematological and biochemical profiles of a fish, Barbus conchonius (Ham.). Bull. Environ.Contam.Toxicol.38:748-752.
- Umminger, B.L., 1975. Physiological studies on super cooled kill fish, Fundulus heteroclitus, III carbohydrate metabolism and survival at subzero temperature. J.Exp.Zool.173:159-174.
- Umminger, B.L., 1977. Relation of the whole blood sugar concentration in vertebrates to standard metabolic rate. Com.Biochem.Physiol. 56a: 457-460.
- Wolnicki, J., Myszkowski, L. and Kaminski, R., 2003. Effect of supplementation of a dry feed with natural food on growth, condition and size distribution of juvenile tench Tinca tinca (L.). Applied Ichthyology, 19:157-160.
Received: 1 January 2022; Accepted: 13 February 2023; Published online: 6 March 2023.
How To Cite:
Kamala P, & M. Jagadish Naik. (2023). Effect of Richmin and Vanimin on Carbohydrate metabolism in selected fish species - C. catla, L. rohita, C. mrigala. Biolife, 11(1), 36–42. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7699930